Mini-Tyke is for players aged 4, 5, and 6 years old on December 31 of the current year.
The purpose of Mini-Tyke is to introduce, emphasize, and develop the fundamental skills of Lacrosse. The focus of practices and games is to promote an environment that encourages participation, skill development, and overall enjoyment of the game.
At the end of the season, a special "Mini Tyke/Tyke Festival" is held in lieu of playoffs, where all teams come together to play in a fun atmosphere.
- Session times are one hour (usually on Saturdays).
- Sessions are split into a 30 min warm up/practice and 30 minute game.
- 3 on 3 play (no goaltenders) played on width of floor
- 3x3 nets
- Coaches are on the floor to run practices and games
- 3 minute shifts
- Defensive players may place their stick on a ball carrier and use equal pressure to prevent their movement ("Equal Pressure" rule).
- Season runs from mid April to the end of June.
Full equipment, which includes a CSA approved helmet and cage, mouth guard, shoulder pads, arm pads, gloves, kidney pad, jock or jill strap, and athletic shoes are required. A CLA (Canadian Lacrosse Association) approved stick, at a minimum length of 34 inches is used.