Tyke is for boys and girls aged 7 or 8 years old as of December 31 the current year.
The purpose of Tyke is to introduce , emphasize, and develop the fundamental skills of Lacrosse. The focus of practices and games is to promote an environment that encourages participation, skill devlopment, and overall enjoyment of the game.
At the end of the season, a special "Mini Tyke/Tyke Festival" is held in lieu of playoffs, where all teams come together to play in a fun atmosphere.
- Session times are one hour (usually on Saturdays).
- Sessions are split into a 30 min warmup/practice and 30 minute game.
- 5 on 5 play (plus goaltenders) on full length floor
- 3x3 nets
- Referees are on floor to call penalties and explain violations
- 3 minute shifts
- Defensive players may place their stick on opposing players and push them away ("Place and Push" rule).
- The fall back rule applies when the goaltender is in possession of the ball. All defensive players must fall back to the neutral zone (between the restraining lines) where they must wait until the ball crosses the first restraining line. The goalie must pass the ball (throwing or rolling) to one of the offensive players who must be at least 9 feet from the crease.
- Season runs from mid April to the end of June.
Full equipment, which includes a CSA approved helmet and cage, mouth guard, shoulder pads, arm pads, gloves, kidney pad, jock or jill strap, and athletic shoes are required. A CLA (Canadian Lacrosse Association) approved stick, at a minimum length of 34 inches is used.